Thursday, January 3, 2008

Knowing God in a Deeper Way

Well over the past few years I have been on a journey trying to find out what exactly I believe about Christianity. During this time I have drifted from what I was taught when I was younger, now there are things about the Reformed tradition that I do not agree with. However there are things that I agree with them on and think that they have right. One is the Heidelberg Catechism, this is a theological statement of faith that has a lot of depth to it. The catechism is divided up into 52 parts and is normally studied or talked about on Sunday. However I will try to put it up on Thursday so that I and those who read have a middle of the week reminder of Jesus and a devotional. So I hope that you come back every week for this. I also hope for those that read this that it leads you closer to Christ and may help you know him more.

Lord’s Day 1

1. Q. What is your only comfort in life and death?
A. That I, with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Savior Jesus Christ; who with his precious blood has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, wherefore by his Holy Spirit he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me heartily willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him

2. Q. How many things are necessary for you to know, that you in this comfort may live and die happily?
A. Three; the first, how great my sins and misery are; the second, how I am delivered from all my sins and misery; the third, how I am to be thankful to God for such deliverance.




With the answer to the first question let it sink in a little. It continues to strike me that I am not my own. In a culture that screams individuality it is hard to remember that I am not my own. I need to remember that I was bought with a price and what I do should bring glory to Jesus. It is of much comfort that nothing can happen without God knowing it. I am reminded of Psalm 139 and how wherever we are there God also is.

The second answer brings much comfort in that no matter what I have done I am delivered from it. That is the great joy of Christianity that no matter what I am delivered. What great joy that should bring in every day life no matter what my situation is.

I hope that this has strengthened your relationship with Jesus as it has me. May your understanding of Him continue to grow every day.

No comments: